Christmas is looking different for us this year. In the past we’ve enjoyed all manor of advent calendars from candy to gifts but this year the kids have helped brain storm ways for us to give instead. Our plan is to serve, especially those who cannot repay us, and bless others through acts of kindness. Since money is tight we’ve tried to come up with mostly free ways to give.
- Sponsor a Compassion child and write to her.
- Give to Coats for Kids
- Thank the local Firefighters
- Give to a midwife center or pregnancy crisis center
- Thank your Highway District with a card and picture
- Make mug warmers (I did some out of sweaters) and give them away
- Visit your neighbors with a card and well wishes
- Write to un-sponsored children
- Babysit so a husband and wife can have a date
- Do the laundry for your mom. *I didn’t say it!
- Give away nice gently used toys
- Chop firewood for senior citizens
- Volunteer in a classroom
- Visit a senior center
- Write a Christmas newsletter- ours usually goes out in Jan. and includes trivia and prizes for reading and responding.
- Christmas shopping for siblings
- Support young artists or give a pig!
- Do your brothers chores
- Send a friendly note or verse to a long lost friend
- Pay attention and meet needs. ie give change at the store, hold the door, return carts in the cold
- Give eggs to the neighbors
- Take food to a bachelor
- Make a video for friends and family to see how the kids have grown
- Shovel snow
- Forget ebay or consignment, give away something you like
Here is a list of 100 Ways for Your Family to Make a Difference from We Are That Family.
Although they say it’s more fun to give than receive we have been so blessed in the past by these ideas from other people.
Here are some of the ways our family has received random acts of kindness.
- Our 200ft rural driveway plowed while we were out.
- Cookies and visitors at Christmas.
- Coats for our growing kids.
- Money anonymously in the mailbox.
- Gluten free bread mix gift
- Membership to a favorite writing forum
- Free Netflix for a year
- Anonymous donor for a yearly web subscription
- Surprise dinner
- Help with housecleaning